July 9, 2020
Today, the BETACON senior leadership team held a virtual meeting and voted unanimously to cancel BETACON10. This decision was made with tremendously valuable feedback from our coordinating advisory committee.
We want to be transparent with the reasons we came to this decision:
- Several of our gaming coordinators are regional and live in New York or New Jersey. Both are locations that are under mandatory travel quarantines, with no sign of that lifting before September. We won’t ask our volunteer coordinators to come to Pennsylvania for one weekend and then be required to self-quarantine for two weeks, making them need to miss work and other activities.
- Today, Wizards of the Coast, the company that owns Magic: the Gathering and Dungeons & Dragons Adventure League suspended all in-person sanctioned events and play now through at least October.
- Pathfinder Society and Starfinder Society issued similar restrictions, and we expect Catalyst (Shadowrun), and other organized play organizations to do the same very soon.
- Lackawanna County (where the convention was to be held) shows a steady recent increase in reported Coronavirus cases, which will likely cause restrictions on gatherings in August. We cannot risk them pushing one week into September, affecting the convention.
- Our hotel/venue, the Anthracite Hotel, has been wonderfully supportive and has let us out of our contract with no fees and an invitation to return when it is safe.
- Most importantly, we are deeply concerned about the health, safety, and well-being of our gaming community.
Here’s what you need to know:
- If you booked a hotel room at Hotel Anthracite under the BETACON group code, it has been automatically canceled.
- If you purchased a registration for the September convention, your purchase will be refunded within one week.
- If you purchased an attendee or vendor registration for the May convention we are asking that anyone able to push their registration to a future convention to do so. We understand that this is not always possible, and if you require a refund, please e-mail email@example.com to request one.
We know that this is not what you wanted to hear from us today, but also that you, like many of our team, are not surprised.
We are looking forward to seeing you at a future event, and will likely hold some virtual programming and smaller in-person events when it is safe to do so.
John Dawe, CNP, CFRE
Chief Financial & Administration Officer
Founder & CEO